SpaceX- SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
• Maintenance Engineering Interns at the SpaceX Rocket Development Facility work in a fast-paced testing environment, where the extraordinary becomes the everyday. Maintenance Engineering Interns will be involved in all aspects of component and systems maintenance. They will utilize all tools at their disposal to ensure 100% reliability of development and production test stands. This will involve corrective, preventive and predictive maintenance techniques, as well as operational and design feedback for maintaining and improving all systems at the Rocket Development Facility.
• Set up asset and system maintenance strategies based on risk and history
• Develop preventative maintenance requirements and schedule frequencies
• Advise and support design and test engineering teams on complex problem resolution
• Advise and support technician groups in application of maintenance activities
• Perform data analysis to advise and improve routine and non-routine maintenance tasks
• Generate technical work packages and determine the activities, sequence, procedures, parts, service and labor required for execution
• Develop methods to streamline processes, increase reliability, track costs, and schedule maintenance activities
• Set up inventory of spare parts and identify the critical/long lead spare parts based on the FMECA and Root Cause Analysis of breakdown upgrades
• Provide project management to ensure work plan execution from conception to completion, including: validation, technical documentation and operational instructions, failure modes, calibration, software and configuration of ground support systems
•Must be currently enrolled at a four-year university or college pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in an Engineering or Engineering Technology field or no more than 6 months out from the most recent degree completed
Preferred Skills and Experience:
• Participation in a Junior/Senior capstone project with design or system analysis
• Experience from a previous internship
• Military experience
• Experience using power tools, hand tools and power equipment
• Experience with Computerized Maintenance Management System or Enterprise Resource Planning System
• Excellent written and verbal communication
• Ability to maintain a safe and clean working environment
• Attention to detail with a high sense of urgency
• Must be willing to work overtime (up to a total of 50 hours per week)
• General physical fitness as this position involves standing, bending, grasping, climbing and lifting up to 30 lbs.
• Work routinely performed in extreme outdoor environments (heat, cold, rain)
•To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.